Procedures need to be consistent, so that they are not discriminatory. Some offices have a small sign posted on their reception desk regarding what they ask for. Some offices have procedures; some agents and teams have procedures. What are yours?
- Do you make a copy of their drivers license? If so, does it go in your file, the office file, to the receptionist for the day?
- Do you ask for their car license plate number, or check it?
- Do you take a photo of the prospective clients?
- Do you ask for their signature on anything? Agency disclosure, or guest log? One or both parties?
- First time they come to the office, or before an agent leaves with them or to meet them?
As an agent, how do you account for where you're going?
- Do you leave a copy of the homes you're showing or previewing? Where? With whom?
- Do you call in from stops along the way?
- Do you arrange for someone to call you from time to time?
- Do you instant message when you arrive at or leave a property?
Have you taken any self-protection classes?
We do need to be proactive, so we don't wind up as the latest news story about a real estate agent who was harmed or killed. Let's share what we do to keep safe.